Friday, April 24, 2009

One month...

In 5th grade my parents made my siblings and me bike from Madison, WI to Milwaukee, WI to visit relatives. We did the 50 mile bike ride in one day arriving with barely any daylight left. In the morning we went to church, had a quick meal, and headed back home. As my uncle was giving us directions out of town, all four of us kids were still begging my parents allow him to drive us home. Nearly 15 years later, that is still the longest bike trip I've ever attempted.

In one month I will attempt to bike across the country: Bar Harbor, Maine to Washington's Pacific Coast. This blog will serve as a place where you can share in the adventure - which we all know certainly will be just that. I will update the blog whenever we come across the internet at a small town's library or random house that is gracious enough to take us in. Comments of encouragement and what is going on in your world will most definitely be needed!

Disclaimer: I AM NOT A BIKER. When a friend of mine heard about the bike trip plan, her response was, "I didn't know you were a biker!" My response was, "Yeah, I'm not. It will be quite the adventure."

6 comments:

Matt Fisher said...

Wow, sounds crazy/amazing. What kind of bike are you riding?
-Matt Fisher

Summit or Nothing said...

A Novara Carema road bike... definitely nothing special. How's life Matt? Are you still in Bozeman?

Matt Fisher said...

Life is good Jacquey! Yes I'm still in Bozeman. I'm graduating in a couple weeks but I'm using every excuse to stay here as long as I can. Well I'm excited to read about your adventure!

Anonymous said...

Wow Jacqueline that sure does sound like fun (at least for someone else to do, and not me). It will be a huge adventure and I look forward to keeping up with y'all as you travel. Maybe next time your bike trip could be to Texas, and then you could come by and use our internet to update your blog, haha!!!
As I was reading about your 50 mile trip when you were younger I thought only the Mauer's would do this to their kids, that is why we love them!

Komkaz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Komkaz said...

Oh my! The tears that are being generated from Park City over the loss of Jacquelyn Mauer have increased the flow to East Canyon Creek and Silver Creek by 1000 cfs, respectfully. We made offers, counter offers, bribes, threats, coercion and nothing worked. Your loyalty was only focused on traversing across the states, ignoring the love that was fostered in the empty swimming pool at Park City. Besides that you have ignored my advice to help the endangered Arizona Leopard Frog, whom you could have peddled for as your cause. One mile could have equated to $1.00 donation that would have provided fresh mealworms to feed a hungry frog for one day.

Well thank you for providing me with your blog. This weekend in honor of you, I painted North America in my bathroom and titled the painting "The Tracking of Jacquelyn". Every morning, before showering Patrisha and I will check your blog to find your location and then we will mark it with an "X" with a bar of Ivory soap. At the end of your adventure Patrisha will connect the X's and we will laminate this historic map.

With that said, we wish you the best on your adventure and should you need a good bail bondsmen let me know I am connected. Katie misses you also, since you have been gone she cannot find anybody to shop with her at the Thrift Store, so she is picking up a homeless lady in SLC for shopping excursions.

Hugs,

Jeff